and German Language
1. Completed online application
2. Certified translation of higher secondary school certificate in German language
For the Master’s program, please submit a copy of the applicant’s first degree certificate. Applicants must have successfully completed an undergraduate degree in arts, design OR any disciplines.
Note: Applicants from the People’s Republic of China are requested to submit the certificate issued by the Academic Examinations Authority Beijing (APS).
3. Curriculum vitae
4. Portfolio, including 20 digital images of your recent artwork in PDF FORMAT portfolio, catalogue or document. Artwork can be in various forms; drawing, painting, object, installation (photo of artworks). Each image must be numbered and titled with descriptions.
Portfolios should demonstrate the applicant’s commitment to their art making along with the development of an identity as an artist.
5. Official German language test certificate
- Test Deutsch als Fremdsprache (TestDaF) - TDN4 (Fine Art: level 3)
- Deutsche Sprachprüfung für den Hochschulzugang (DSH) - level 2 (Fine Art: level 1) or
- Deutsches Sprachdiplom II or
- telc German C1 University or
- Examination part Deutsch of the assessmant test at a Studienkolleg or
- Goethe language certificate C1 (Fine Art [B.A.]: B1)
The following is valid only for B.A.-applicants:
If it is not possible to submit a language certificate in the desired form, the examination team will decide on admission after a personal interview with the applicant. In this case, the applicant must submit proof of the application within one semester (only B.A.-applicants).
For M.F.A.-applicants applies:
If applicants with the desired degree M.F.A. cannot present proof of language proficiency in the desired form, the examination team will decide on admission after a personal interview with the applicant.
For more information about the tests, visit
6. One passport size photos
7. Statement of motivation (max. 10 pages) should describe
- your interest in the field
- reasons for applying to the program
- career goal
- your related qualifications including collegiate, professional, and community activities, and any other substantial accomplishments
- your artistic and academic background obtained from the bachelor’s degree
- research interest
- if possible, suggest one academic and one artistic advisors (one of them must be teaching staff of HKS)
Note: Statement of motivation is required for the Master’s program only.